What is adrenal insufficiency?
People with Adrenal Insufficiency (AI) do not have enough of the hormones cortisol and aldosterone. Without the right levels of these hormones, your body cannot maintain essential life functions. AI may be permanent or temporary. When AI is permanent, medication must be taken daily for an entire lifetime. Causes of permanent AI include the following:
- Addison’s Disease
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) discovered in childhood
- Complete surgical removal of the pituitary gland
- Surgical removal of the adrenals
What are the signs and symptoms of AI?
When your essential life functions are not being maintained because of a lack of adrenal hormones, you will not feel well. Your symptoms can include:
- Unusual tiredness and weakness
- Dizziness when standing up
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Upset stomach
- Joint aches and pains